Saturday, February 28, 2015

Symbols

About a month ago, I graduated from grad school. Because of how messy things were with trying to finish, I hadn't lined up anything for when I finished. I had to move back home for the first time in a over 8 years. It was weird for me, since I had basically been on my own for a long time.

On the drive to my parents' home, my car engine blew up. The car that I had gotten in high school, when I first gained the ability to call home and let us my parents know if I was spending the night by a high school friend. The car that drove me to college. The car that I used to visit friends who had been scattered across the US after. The car that I drove to my first job, every day to college, and that I took across the country one summer.

Losing that symbol of my independence was rough for me.

It made me doubt myself.

I had taken a step back and gone to live home for a while.

It almost made me feel helpless.

Sometimes things happen that put things like this in perspective.

I now realize that this is an opportunity to do what I had wanted to do anyway. Spend some time with my grandparents in their retirement. Help my parents around the house a bit. Explore non-academic interests. Think about the past couple years.

Nothing like a break to clear your head. And life popping up to remind you of the things that matter.

Edit: Bonus Comic!

The house always wins. The house being the inevitability of the universe.
Photo Credit: LKM PHOTOS

Lyric of the Day: Friendly Fires - Blue Cassette
"As I hear your voice,
It sets my heart on fire.
That with all the noise,
It sets my heart on fire."

No comments:

Post a Comment